Good Enough DIY Memo Wall Boards and Mirror Wall

Adventures in Decorating

Good Enough DIY Memo Wall Boards

I finally finished MiniMe’s room to good enough.  I can live it until after gardening season is over in the fall.  This will leave me time to be patient while I wait for the perfect queen size french bed, nightstand, and chair to match her room. Anyone got an old curvy wing back chair I can paint or try recovering?  I can barter for some organizing, purging or decorating advice. I’m handy too, just saying.  I will write up the tips, tricks and lessons learned later. I still need to get the Easter Decor completed, yes I’m still tinkering, and yes Babu has told me I have ” a problem”.   For now here is the final result, I hoped for a  Home Decorator magazine clean and tidy room, but she will be 25 before I can achieve it and she is 10 now. Please excuse the mess.  🙂 Have a great week Lovies, I had a cortisone shot in my foot Thursday and hope to be on the pavement next Saturday!

5


Adventures in decorating. My first chalk paint project

Chalk paint is all the rage around here right now. I love the look and the promise of no prep, easy coverage, easy distressing, and durability with wax. I recently scored a desk vanity for MiniMe and want to chalk paint it, but I didn’t want it to be my first attempt. I decided I wanted to try the DIY paint first before choosing to buy Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I was looking for something, anything small I could use as a pilot project. The other day while showing MiniBoobs my new sparkly red pop up target tree I got a wild hair to paint the entry table red. It was a honey pine color and originally a put together table I bought at Lowes in the 90’s.
I’d give my work a 7 overall. I should of used deglosser on the table because when I didn’t get my 1 part plaster of Paris smooth enough it left little bumps of hard plaster in places and when rubbed off they pulled off right to the original finish. I was able to mostly work around or fix it though. I was in a hurry and didn’t want to distress this piece so I chose to rub an ample amount of dark walnut wax into the finish and buff it to a soft sheen. I got the project done in under 24 hours and put 3 coats of chalk paint on it. It does dry very quickly and coverage was awesome. I made my mixture in a glass mason jar and sealed it up well when I was done because I had a ton of the 2 cups I made left. I went with the 1 part plaster of Paris to 3 parts paint ratio. Next time I’m upping it to 1 part plaster of Paris to 2 parts paint.
Here are pics in various stages of the project.

20121122-205542.jpg

20121122-205609.jpg

20121122-205630.jpg

20121122-205650.jpg

20121122-205711.jpg

20121122-205729.jpg